- Wilfredo Guilbiac teaches workshops in Bellingham, July 11-12
- Classes with Jose Carrion - ongoing, learn traditional Cuban dance
- See notice about rueda de casino classes at SalsaNSeattle & other options
- Casino, Rueda, and AfroCuban classes with Reinier Valdes, Tuesdays & Wednesdays in the International District, with Wednesday 9 pm practica
- Casino on Cardboard every Friday (weather permitting and unless otherwise posted) thru approx mid-Sept. on the beach at Alki at approximately 58th Ave SW, setup 6ish, music & dancing 7 till 10ish.
- Viva Cuba! Rumba NW 5 year Anniversary Workshops and Parties July 10-12, Bellingham, featuring workshops w/ Wilfredo & live music w/ Cambalache
- Kiki Valera y Los Guajibaros, Sun July 12, 6pm, Very Taki Tiki Bar, Edmonds
- Afro Cuban music & dance at Humboldt State (CA), July 18-25
- Travel to Cuba with Ryan and Sidney (Rueda con Ritmo), August 1-15
- Tri-Cities Salsa Congress, Oct 16-18, Richland, WA, w/ workshops by Maritza Baida!
After 25 years of directing La Familia Valera Miranda, Santiago de Cuba’s most beloved son septeto, international recording artist Kiki Valera joins forces with a new line up of accomplished musicians. One of Cuba’s most creative & talented cuatristas, Kiki now turns his attention to an ensemble that includes:
Alex Rivera – vocals; Steve Guasch – bongos; Gary Stroutsos – concert wood flute; Guillermo Padilla on congas.
Sorry amigos, but we’re canceling Casino on Cardboard at Alki Beach tonight June 12, 2015. Ismael is a bit under the weather today and isn’t well enough to take on setup duty. Although the sun has started to peek through the clouds, it would have been chilly along the water tonight since Seattle is expected to hit a high temperature of only 66 degrees today. Historically we’ve gotten low turnouts on cooler days like today. It’s best to just cancel the event tonight, let Ismael recover, and wait until next Friday to come out blazin’.
Thank you all for coming out in strong numbers last weekend! The turnout was impressive for the first dance of the season especially with such short notice.
Hola amigos! We’re starting this year’s summer Casino on Cardboard season of dances on Alki Beach this Friday, June 5, 2015! All you need to do is bring your shiny, smiling face, be ready to dance the day away, and maybe bring a jacket for after sundown. Bring snacks or drinks, if you’re really inspired.
You’ll find the dance floor right on the sandy beach at Alki at approximately 2501 Alki Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98116, across the street from Duke’s Chowder House near 58th Ave SW. Music and dancing begin by 7. Volunteers are encouraged to come earlier to help set up (and find a decent parking spot)! The festivities will generally take place every Friday night it’s dry at least through Labor Day weekend in September. We’ll see you on the dance floor on the sandy shores of Alki Beach!
Rueda de casino lessons at SalsaNSeattle are cancelled for the summer. In late summer SnS will likely announce a fall session. You will have to sign up for it in advance to ensure your space.
In the meantime, there are two options:
1) Check out Rainier Valdes’s classes (see Instructor page)
2) If you are interested in a short, focused series–for beginners, or for advanced beginner/intermediate–please let Betsy Geller know (see Instructor page for contact info or send a Facebook message). If there are enough people of similar level I will try to set up a 5 or 6 week series, most likely in Greenwood.
Seattle Rueda Sunday practice is at SalsanSeattle 5/17.
It’s cancelled on 5/24 — go to Folklife!
Starting 5/31 we’ll be outside at the Wallingford Steps through the summer. (Rain location is the Gasworks Park picnic shelter.)
Check out Afropop’s program “Music in a Changing Cuba” http://www.afropop.org/22599/music-in-a-changing-cuba/